Recovering Zcom ZCN-1523H and Planet WNAP-7300 from bad firmware flash
OpenWrt Attitude Adjustment Beta2 images for Zcom ZCN-1523H a.k.a Planet WNAP-7300 are broken. You can do recovery by opening case (three hidden screws under label on back) and soldering serial port (115200-8-N-1, TX closest to AR71xx, RX next and then GND, ignore fourth pin). After adding serial port cause of fault was quite obvious (kernel lacks support for ZCN-1523H) and also how to repair it without adding serial port.
- Download working OpenWrt image or factory firmware upgrade.
- Rename downloaded image to ap.img
- Connect PC to LAN1 port
- Set PC IP to 192.168.0.36, netmask 255.255.255.0. No GW, no DNS.
- Make sure any other network interfaces such as WLAN are disabled.
- Launch TFTP server to serve ap.img.
- Press and hold RESET button on ZCN-1523H / WNAP-7300 and power AP on.
- Within 10 seconds you should see connection to TFTP server, you can release RESET button now.
- Wait minute or two and AP is back alive. This means you're DONE.